Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Trip to Brazil


Tomorrow's the day. 

My excitement has been building for the last two weeks for my trip to Brazil. Today, I am tingling with energy and my mind feels alert and hyper-sensitive to every noise around me, yet I am also partially checked out of my surroundings. It is a strange sensation; I am noticing everything around me in great detail, yet am focused on the trip. It reminds me a bit of meditation- clearing your mind and focusing, hearing everything in surprising detail, with a river of consciousness rushing past you. Sometimes thoughts drift toward you, and you pick them up, gaze at them, but then gently give them back to the river, where they flow somewhere downstream. It is slightly more restless than meditation, however. Some worries loop in the river, revisiting me frequently: "Did I forget anything?"

I am nervously watching flights to see whether they are generally on-time or delayed, kindling that fierce love-hate relationship I have for flying and airports. I've always been afraid of heights. The first time I was on a plane, I had a panic attack before take-off. Now I dare my fears by always taking a window seat and forcing myself to look out the window. It's not so bad, and I've grown to like watching the clouds and "tiny big cities" below me. Mammoths reduced to anthills. Now all that scares me are international airports and flight delays, which all become more easy to swallow once you have been through it a few times.

One thing I can say to first-time travelers is this: Don't be so afraid that it stops you. It's natural to be nervous, but route that nervous energy in a positive and helpful way. Use it to ignite your awareness. Never leave bags unattended. Watch your pockets. Do not, under any circumstances, agree to take packages from strangers to transport to one of their "friends" in a city you are going to. Do not accept gifts from strangers. Be smart with your money and where you store it- maybe keep a $20 bill in your pocket and hide the rest in your sock, bra, and/or a security belt.

Another thing: I do not, by any means, make lots of money that I can just throw around on plane tickets. What I do have is willpower to save, especially when there is a goal I'm trying to make. Friends in the destination country also makes a massive difference in price to you. I feel lucky to know so many people abroad. It reduces the cost from several thousand, to just a little more than the price of your plane ticket, as room and board can be just as expensive or more expensive than the flight, depending on how long you stay and where. Don't let your dreams be dashed. If you can save $10/week, you will have $520 saved in a year. If you can save $20/week and have someone to stay with in your destination country, you can be there in a year or so. If you can only do $10/wk, you can still make a dream vacation in a couple of years, and it is something to look forward to.

I have only added a couple of entries to this blog thus far, but it's about to flesh out. If there is one thing I love, it's sharing the experiences, thrills, and new knowledge that comes with international travel. I hope that you will join me as I make my trip. I hope that I am able to update from the airports and/or on board the planes. If not, I'll see you there!

0 comments:

Post a Comment